Saturday, April 27, 2019

330 Monday Musings: The House of Cards is more than just a house of cards!

Monday Musings: The House of Cards is more than just a house of cards!

I had imagined that I had won the third world war when I managed to quit the television about 5-6 years ago. Outside of stray movies, which I do not consider as TV in the strictest possible meaning of it, I may not have watched more than 10 hours of TV in the last 5-6 years. Needless to say I felt on the top of the world all these years particularly when I see inmates of this prison both at home and at office. I used to relish the joy of seeing them and their plight, sucked into the abyss of what I arrogantly thought was the helpless bondage of addiction. Little did I know one day would chug along Netflix. I think I celebrated my freedom a tad too early.
I shall certainly never forgive the close friend of mine who otherwise I find quite wise and lovable, to have introduce me to the Netflix series – House of Cards (HOC hereafter). Everyone who has seen it will understand my point and those who have not, my advice to you shall be ‘stay away’ – it is more addictive than heroin. I binge watched 70 plus episodes in less than 45 days.
However this is not about my rant about addiction but the joy of HOC. I think I do not regret my inescapable sinking into the dungeons of screen addiction. The depravity of my fall from the high pedestal of freedom was enjoyed every second of it – episode by episode.
HOC had some absolutely amazing quotes which were shocking but accurate description of the fissures of human character. The fact that someone else was saying what we always knew to be possible made consuming it easy. The viewer is actually relieved that he/she is not alone in falling prey to the imperfections of his/her desires, drives and demons. Here are my favourite top 10 (googled). If you see a bit of yourself or people around you in them – do not cringe, sulk or feel disturbed. Just relish your imperfectness in that muggy feeling that you are not alone.
1. ‘’After all we are nothing more or less than what we chose to reveal’’.
2. ‘’Power is a lot like real estate. It’s about location, location, location. The closer you are to the source, the more is the property value.
3. ‘’Proximity to power deludes some into thinking that they wield it.’’
4. ‘’For those of us climbing to the top of the food chain, there can be no mercy. There is only rule – hunt or be hunted’’
5. ‘’If you don’t like how the table is set, turn over the table’’
6. ‘’There are two kinds of pain – the sort of pain that makes to strong or the ones that makes you suffer’’
7. ‘’The road to power is paved with hypocrisy, and casualties.”
8. ‘’Money is the Mc-mansion in Sarasota that starts falling apart after 10 years. Power is the old stone building that stands for centuries. I cannot respect someone who doesn’t see the difference.”
9. If a man is not smart enough to be able to use whatever is in front of him and still make it work...well, then...that’s just a failure of the imagination’’
10. ‘’We both know something the rest of the world refuses to acknowledge. There is no justice, only conquest
Post script – one does not need to accept this as absolute truth. Find your own.
www.mondaymusingsbyguru.blogspot.com||
www.gurucharangandhi.com

No comments:

Post a Comment