Saturday, February 15, 2014

195 Monday Musings - Yet another slice of life

195 Monday Musings - Yet another slice of life

"Kamna Prasad Tripathy from Azamgarh sir" he replied, in accented English as I asked his name while entering the tariffed taxi service outside the Mumbai airport the other night. Apart from the usage of the queen’s language it was his confidence that announced that he was not an ordinary cab driver. In saying his name and the manner in which he said it and adding the trivia about his roots he was claiming his space inside the cab as an identity distinct and perhaps superior to what his vocation lent him. I knew I had to talk to him.

I asked him how long he was in Mumbai. He announced dramatically - and I capture this verbatim - “1969 was ending and 1970 was beginning - and in the space in between, I landed in Mumbai"
I asked him how has been his experience of working in Mumbai. He said “Mumbai offers a secular opportunity to everyone to earn a livelihood with dignity. As long as you are committed to your work, money will keep flowing. I fulfilled all my responsibilities as a brother, as a son and as a father doing odd work here"
Immediately he corrected himself and it was the correction that yet again announced that he was not an ordinary taxi driver. He said “Actually I became an instrument to fulfill my responsibilities". 

Over the next 30 minutes he sang Kabeer, Tulsidas and perhaps to connect with me better, Nanak, along with description and elucidation of meaning of what he was singing. 

Suddenly a call comes on his phone and he asks in the broken English that speaks, to the person on the other end " Sir if you can wait for 15 minutes...I can pick you...you will reach your destination...and I will also earn some money...but of course no pressure from my side"...Just awesome example of influencing skills!! He cuts the phone and explains to me the merits of transparency in dealing with customers. 

A little ahead on the road, he tells how at 62, his family does not like him driving and working. But he is adamant - "While money is no longer as strong a driver anymore, but I do not like the prospect of not earning any money too....One must earn"

Then comes the power punch when he talks about the four aims of human life, Arth, Kama, Dharm and Moksh - "Why is Moksh number four and not number one - Only Gaad (God) knows!!...In any case these four pursuits are for the men-battalion....women battalion is exempt...they already do quite a lot you see...." 

Finally as I step out at my destination I say "It was nice talking to you" to which he serves an ace...”Your company made me talk nice...credit goes to you". 

Mr. Kamna Prasad tripathy from Azamgarh - we need more like you, if not on the streets, then certainly in the parliament. 

Guru




No comments:

Post a Comment