Monday, November 22, 2010

102 Monday Musings

The social transformation – 2
Last week i talked of the first of the two experiences I had undergone, that were bound by a subtle thread of what one may call a trend. Today I shall talk about the second experience.
As I landed in Mumbai the other day, the cab driver who came to pick me up was a lady called Sulekha. Sulekha has been driving a cab for now for over two years. She entered this business, clearly a male bastion so far, under the prodding and support of her husband. I recount here for you some of her statements which have a powerful subtext of a strong social transformation that is unfolding around us.
Question – Why did you chose this profession of driving a cab?
Answer – “I wanted to do something new. I did not want to rush every morning without serving my in laws or not cooking for my husband. This gave me flexibility to do both”
Question – Any problems you faced?
Answer – “Initially as my timings were erratic, neighbors used to raise eyebrows and bitch to my mother-in-law but not they have got used to it. The money I am able to make here helps of course”
Question – Which are the normal routes you ply?
Answer – “Oh! I go all over the place. I do local in Mumbai and I go to Pune, Nashik and Shirdi. Sometimes I travel through the night, reach in the morning and come the same evening. It can become taxing. My son misses me, but what to do!
Question – How do customers react on seeing a female cabbie?\
Answer – “They are surprised surely. They ask a lot of questions, the way you are asking. But I provide the best services that I possible can. I never complain of odd hours or long drives. There are times when the schedule of the passenger’s changes and it creates delays. I cannot complain, can i?  If I start complaining then off goes my reputation.” “You see there was this Gujrati lady who wanted me to take her to Shirdi. I said you just pay for the fuel, no need to pay me anything else – after all the car is doing to Baba’s house. Got to worship him too na!!
Question – Does the long hours disturb you?
Answer – “No No. In fact now the day I do not have any trip I don’t know how to spend my time. Today was a lean day and no trips since morning. The moment I got this call for an airport pick up, I immediately said yes – ‘chalo shaaam to kategi
I was bowled over by her confidence, her matter-of-fact attitude towards her profession, her faith in her ability to chisel her future and her complete dedication to her craft. As you read through the conversation you realize the magnitude of the phenomena that is happening as the sub text of this saga of social transformation. The fun is in discovering that sub text for yourself and not in me taking away your joy by describing it.
Guru
PS – It was Guru Nanaks Birthday yesterday. As he appropriately says – Nanak Naam Chaddi Kalaa, Tere Bhane Sarbat Da Bhalaa. (O Nanak, With His name shall you and ALL prosper)

1 comment:

  1. So, it's not just in movies anymore...!!
    Applaud & appreciate pioneers of change, but Guru how much do u value this personally..?
    Remember...we had a dialogue about this n we expliciltly mentioned how our part of the world takes on it. (WE inclusive)

    Shveta

    ReplyDelete