Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Monday Musings 101

Monday Musing is back after a hiatus of a little over three months. Everyday living sometimes gets better of us and the discipline of pursuing an interest takes a back seat. I guess thats precisely why it is so difficult to be dogged in pursuing an interest without compulsions other than the calling of the heart. I guess that is why it is difficult to be a genius. But the good news for me is that it is back. This time with a fair amount of audacity i am taking the liberty of marking it to a wider audience, some of whom are far more learned and experienced than me. Hope Monday Musings in its second incarnation as a blog will be received with as much fondness as its first avatar.
The creeping social transformation - 1
In an extremely short span of 24 hrs I witnessed two isolated incidents bound only by a very fragile thread of what one would call a trend – a thread so fragile and subtle that one would miss it If one did not pay attention. I was in a hotel in Chennai in the course of a training program, which also housed a pub on its first floor. It was the middle of the day and the place was swarming with teenagers who were barely out of school. It was some kind of a party and they were having a ball – dancing to loud music and from the state some of them were in, it wasn’t difficult to imagine that they were also a few drinks down. It was also not difficult to imagine that it was a college bunking party and young boys and girls were ready to go back home after what was a day supposed to be attending classes. As the party broke at around 5 pm  and they started to bid goodbye to each other the inebriated state they were in became obvious. The sight of extremely young kids drunk and smoking without remorse or hesitation and with ease was, for the want of a better word, disturbing.
The sight of one particular girl who looked more like the front bencher-studious-notes taking types, puffing like a practised veteran just doesn’t leave me. This was happening in a relatively old and traditional neighbourhood, on a lazy afternoon and in Chennai - had its own significance. This was breaking all the stereotypes of the youngistan that I had in my mind or had read about.
I am not puritanical normally – in my own growing up or in my views on changing sociological landscape – but even my otherwise liberal sensibilities were stretched to accept what I was seeing. Surely I have been a youngster and not a very nice one at that, but this took my breath away. For heavens sake – they were just too young.  As those images linger in my head and the pragmatic in me takes over, I am almost forced to consider that perhaps I missed some changes that might have occurred around me since the time I was a teenager.
Teenage rebellion is not new – neither is the youth’s desire to experiment with the prohibited. I guess the prohibited list just expanded. So how does one deal with such social transformation. I guess the first step is to accept that the world of an adolescent has undergone a change and so has the notion of taboo. What was taboo till the last day is perfectly kosher now. My sense of disbelief is a construct of the times that i have grown up and may be completely out of place.
My own liberation lies in accepting an entirely different new world of a 16 year old and accepting that he and i are united at least in one way – that he is deriving as much joy in being a rebel as much as i enjoyed it in my times.
Guru
(I shall talk about the second evidence of a creeping social transformation in my next blog.)

10 comments:

  1. Boss Thanks a lot for coming back to Monday Musings after a hiatus of 3 odd months. And good to see it has not started from Monday Musing 1 rather it has started as Monday Musings 101. "Chakshu Khul Jaate Hai Monday Musings Padh Ke".

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best line 'What was taboo till the last day is perfectly kosher now'. Universally Applicable. Esp to LI industry of today. The so called best kept secret of seller commission is out in the open. Today it is exposed,displayed and has to be signed by the buyer. Way to go. (Read my blogs at http://thoughtinnovation.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great come back guruji on Monday musings, which was a missing link in my mail box. It is very relevant with regard to the social transformation. Never the less even though we had that common thread of rebel, we look at it as a taboo in the present day. Having born and spent 32 years of life in a conservative place like Mysore and living in Bangalore now I too witness the same. It was great and hope for more on next Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi boss...greetings on the launch of Monday musings.

    Needless to say, the blog provoked quite some thoughts. However, one statement of yours reinforced the thoughts that were crossing my mind as I was scrolling down while reading. It says,
    'I missed some changes that might have occurred around me since the time I was a teenager.'

    Times have really changed and so have the benchmarks of, if I may say, EVERYTHING, around us..morality included.

    Of late, even I have found myself using the lines that starts with 'In our times....'
    while addressing the relatively younger audience (20 somethings).

    Are we succumbing to the 'we-hated-it once' phenomenon called Generation Gap?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sir, very thought provoking, if I may say so. But we also need to take into consideration the fact that the switch-over time of lifestyles from generation to generation is shrinking at a lightening fast rate. So our children are exposed to things which we might have not even been aware of till we were 25.

    Agreed, things shock us - but I guess we have to accept what we can but oppose what is grossly wrong and against humanity at large.

    Keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good one Guru! Pretty thought provoking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One thought came to my mind after reading - "that he and i are united at least in one way – that he is deriving as much joy in being a rebel as much as i enjoyed it in my times"....perhaps you as a rebel were nowhere as compared to the rebels of today.....you can still be called a non-rebel of your times!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'Rebellions without a Cause' & 'Rebels with a Cross' have always been there.

    In the small colonies with just four roads numbered 'A' to 'D' and in the Parasitic Metros with only cellular numbers as identities... growing up has been equally insane

    Our times, over a decade back has been no less unacceptable than what it is perceived today.

    Have just learned to believe 'They too shall grow and find their way'.

    I for one....am still trying to locate my co-ordinates. And it already been a life time when I moved on from that Colony with just four roads and 2 schools.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Guruji

    Just 3 hours ago I heard about this Monday musings by Guru. For the First time I am reading monday musings 101 and comments from others on the same.I really liked the first line "Observing life alongside experiencing it"& "first step is to accept that the world of an adolescent has undergone a change and so has the notion of taboo". My journey with you with monday musings already started. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfectly stated...This restlessness in the new generation and society in general is a result of a deep desire to explore and experience life/creation beyond the bounds...Celestine Prophecy unfolding...

    Regards,
    Anuradha

    ReplyDelete