Sunday, February 13, 2011

113-Connecting the dots


113-Connecting the dots
Some argue that randomness is the order of the world. Others believe that everything around us seems to be happening of its own accord, preordained in a very prophetic sense. I am neither a philosopher nor a scientist and hence generally averse to be caught in this cross fire but the question is surely attractive enough to merit a thought. So as a river-raft, negotiating with treacherous  currents and rapids of life, which is like moving from one milestone on a long highway to the next, I cannot help but ask myself is there a pattern to this all.
I am quite intrigued generally by the possibility of a pattern to things that happen to us. Our random stories have familiar patterns – of happiness, of grief, of bereavement, of regret, of pain, of longing so on and so forth. When events do happen to us, either triggered by our own actions or as random consequences triggered by the actions of others, we are left either surprised or flummoxed with the question – ‘’Why me?’’ or do we take it genuinely in our stride with equanimity of spirit. Do we search for conspiracy theories in the universe, attributing mala-fide intentions to the authorities who are tasked with the running of destiny or do we curse luck for having handed us bad cards.
Do we connect the dots generally? Do we see a grander design in the way our lives have unravelled? Do we see a larger pattern in our work? I remember an old story as I ponder over this question. A man was passing by three workers working on a construction site and asked three workers as to what they were doing. The first one replies ‘I am laying bricks’. The next one says ‘I am erecting a wall’. The third one says ‘I am constructing a beautiful memorial’. I am sure you know which one has a better chance of being happy. The story has stayed with me over the years and I ask myself almost on a daily basis ‘Am I laying bricks or am I truly constructing a beautiful memorial?’
Almost on a daily basis I see young managers, who are driven with energy and blessed with talent, but singularly incapable of connecting the dots. There is no sense of perspective of things, of figuring out with modicum of maturity where to put a particular thing/question/event lies in the grander scheme of things – either becoming fussy over  inconsequential tit-bits or completely ignoring the large rocks. What a colossal waste of life! Over time their success and happiness will hang precariously on correcting this inability.
I fail to connect the dots as much as I am able to do that. I hope the ratio improves over time.
Guru 

No comments:

Post a Comment